Re: 1998-11-06 Status

Previously Nils Lohner wrote:
> Do we need to get dpkg fixed to recognize sparc64?

Yes, badly so.

> - when building some things fail due to a mungled control file. Basically,
> the predepends line gets a 'Predepends: , <something>'  meaning dpkg-deb
> refuses to parse it due to the comma... it expects something beforehand.
> The error is in either dpkg-gencontrol or dpkg-shlibsomething (I forget what
> it's called)  This is causing a number of packages to fail on me.

dpkg-shlibdeps: this is probably because we don't have a shlibs file
for the libc yet. Hmm, did I actually even install dpkg-dev? I'll
have to check that..

> - instead of installing things with dpkg --extract *.deb /  I'm now using
> dpkg -i --force-depends *.deb... that way things end up in the package file.

And runs the postinst, which is also nice usually.

> - we need to make SURE that if we autobuild and auto check in the packages
> are designated as sparc64!!! Otherwise, the sparc people might dislike us :)

Which should be done automatically once we get dpkg to report sparc64 as
the architecture.

> - Ward, can you please keep up with the kernels? Wichert (I think) told me
> that .127-pre7 was out with a bunch of sparc fixes.

Well, that's what the message on freshmeat said anyway :). I just keep
forgetting to subscribe to the sparclinux list on vger.. someone remind
what the address for that is please?

> - some things are failing due ti libtool and some are looking for
> texi2html... I'm going to look around for those and get those packages
> built.  That should wrap up most of base once I get those done...

texi2html is part of the tex stuff (tetex-bin to be exact), libtool has
it's own package in section devel.

Wichert.