1998-11-06 Status

'nother status...

last night I discovered a few things while playing around with some debs.

- in debian/rules there are sometimes architecture specific checks.
Anything that checks for sparc will likely fail in the autobuild, as that
check often seems to be used to decide whether or not to build glibc1
binaries as well.  Basically if you look in the messages under FAILED and
see a sparc-gnulibc1-gcc before the failure, that's why.  Disabling this
when building by hand compiled a few packages.  [They're uploaded under
~lohner/deb/handbuild.  Mostly what's missing are glibc1 binaries and docs
in the cases where they failed...]  We can't bug report this, because
eventually our arch will be sparc64, at present dpkg still reports sparc.
Do we need to get dpkg fixed to recognize sparc64?

- when building some things fail due to a mungled control file. Basically,
the predepends line gets a 'Predepends: , <something>'  meaning dpkg-deb
refuses to parse it due to the comma... it expects something beforehand.
The error is in either dpkg-gencontrol or dpkg-shlibsomething (I forget what
it's called)  This is causing a number of packages to fail on me.

- I'm starting to rsync mirror the debian source tree to home...
base, admin, net, devel, utils, shells I think are the sources I'm grabbing.

- instead of installing things with dpkg --extract *.deb /  I'm now using
dpkg -i --force-depends *.deb... that way things end up in the package file.

- we need to make SURE that if we autobuild and auto check in the packages
are designated as sparc64!!! Otherwise, the sparc people might dislike us :)

- Ward, can you please keep up with the kernels? Wichert (I think) told me
that .127-pre7 was out with a bunch of sparc fixes.  I'm still seeing some
weirdness at home when compiling, this is either compiler or kernel related
I'd assume.

- some things are failing due ti libtool and some are looking for
texi2html... I'm going to look around for those and get those packages
built.  That should wrap up most of base once I get those done...

TTFN...

Nils.