ultra progress

I've made a lot of progress over the weekend.  I'll do a step by step so if
people have problems they can look at teh series of steps.

- got the files from ultra.linux.cz
- set up rarp and tftpd on my debian box (486/66)
- exported /usr/local/ultra/ (subdirs RedHat/RPMS were in there)
- did a boot net
- this got me into the RH installation
- gave it a name, IP number etc.
- told it to look for the RH archive (nfs mounted) on /usr/local/ultra/src
[NOTE: some RPMS (the kernel ones) were mis-versioned... a symlink and
reinstall solved the problem for me]
- installed everything essential + X

Now I was ready for development.

- cvs checked out the linux kernel from vger.rutgers.edu
- cvs checked out the egcs source from egcs.cygnus.com
- compiled the compiler (with make bootstrap- otherwise it failed at a later
stage... internal xgcc errors)
- installed it (after testing it in a cage :)
- compiled the kernel (I would have done this first, but the ultra penguin
compiler failed immediately on the build)
- one problem- in the fs/ directory I needed to build without -O2... I'll
send a bug to the kernel people.

now the basic tools were there.

- built dpkg from the latest sources.  dselect and doc failed, so I left
them out.
- build dbuild from latest sources.  No problems.
- tried running dbuild on a .dc file from base, no luck.  Fakeroot was
missing
- compiled fakeroot, it fails its self test (basically: it hangs on it.)
- finished X installation from RPMs

I plan to debug fakeroot next so we can move to automatic dbuilds (or at
least bulk... that way we can see what packages make it).  I think the major
'Next Thing' (tm) is to get it debian-bootable... I haven't played with the
libc yet, I'll do that once the 64bit compiler is here.  I'm going to get
apt compiled too, that way we can dump .debs into an archive and all stay up
to date easily.

Comments?

Luck,
Nils.