Re: future of blas/lapack/atlas packages?

Hi Dirk!

glad to see you around.

On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 3:07 AM, Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd@debian.org> wrote:

> (Doku and Camm re-added to CC --Dirk)
>
> On 8 July 2008 at 16:02, Ondrej Certik wrote:
> | Hi,
> |
> | thanks Matthias for raising this issue.
>
> Seconded!
>
> This has always been a point of great pride for Debian, and I have provided
> Atlas to users of R and Octave (when I still maintained the latter) for
> almost eight years.

Exactly. I am a python guy, so we need this in python-numpy and
python-scipy packages.
Recently, the Sage project, that also includes R, uses atlas3.8, but
we don't have it in Debian.

> Camm did great and pioneering work here.  We should build on this.
>
> | I am interested in helping with this.
>
> I may be out of my depth with the compiler / porting issues and am thinly
> stretched with > 100 packages (including ess which 'we' [as in a new small
> group] took from Camm recently).
>
> | We need to maintain the packages in a svn/git repository
>
> Sounds good. I will try to help, at least with testing.  Anybody else?

Unfortunately, I am also very busy these days, so I am not promising
anything. But if I do any work, I'll post to these lists, so that you
can test it.

Do you have experience with git packaging? I don't, but maybe we could
try it, as it could be easier for all of us -- no need to joing any
team, just git collab main.

Ondrej