refblas3, lapack and atlas3 Debian packages

[Repeating some email content for wider discussion]

I'm working on the new armel arch for Debian with Riku and others. I am
looking at the packages that need to be converted to use gfortran
instead of g77. Some of this work is being sponsored by ARM Ltd to get armel
into lenny.

I've had a quick look at the packages and Riku has suggested that I take a
look at the autotoolized and gfortran-patched versions from gentoo and see
how applicable that work is.

Kumar Appaiah wrote:
> I can assure you that, with the old (but gfortran built) reblas3 in
> experimental, I managed to build and test the autotoolized lapack for
> Debian and it worked fine. The last time I tried, I went pretty far,
> getting even GNU Octave to build fine and work well with the gfortran
> lapack. Note that I used the _latest_ upstream version. In fact, doko
> NMUed the version I had, and it's in experimental, though I would
> really love a fresh autotoolized package with a patch system like
> quilt/dpatch.
>
> Of course, I will have to redo the stuff, but, if the patches applied
> by Camm are only to fix some failures of build/tests, as Gentoo
> doesn't seem to use them on their architectures, we should also be
> fine without any patches for the initial stage. Of course, for those
> architectures which we have but Gentoo doesn't that would involve
> work.
>
>> 2) make patches for the more trivial packages. While this is not urgent,
>> it helps speeding up the overall transition. If the package is listed as
>> lowNMU in it's packages.qa.debian.org/ page, you can upload directly.
>
> I haven't looked at this, but I'll try. But IMO, the focus should be
> on BLAS + LAPACK, and then

I'm not sure how these packages interact with each other, but it appears
that atlas is the bottom of the pile and so should probably be tackled first.

There was some discussion on this list recently about parallel installs vs.
conflicting packages, what is the current view on which direction we should
take?

regards,

Colin

--
Colin Tuckley      |  +44(0)1903 236872  |  PGP/GnuPG Key Id
Debian Developer   |  +44(0)7799 143369  |     0x1B3045CE

It is well known that Discworld trolls loose intelligence as they warm up.
Does this mean that a particularly hot headed troll would be a lava lout?