Request to focus on new upstream versions of BLAS, LAPACK

Dear Debian Toolchain,

I have been trying to follow the happenings on the gfortran transition
front, and though I wish to help, I really can't help much in any way
other than helping in testing out, mainly due to my lack of knowledge
of the toolchain and related issues (Fortran knowledge included), and
lack of access to non-x86 architectures. However, I have a few
observations and requests, though, which I thought might lead to a
discussion and possibly accelerate moving to gfortran more quickly.

Here are some notes I wish to make:

A look at another distributions (Gentoo)

I had a look at Gentoo, and saw whether they have solved this
problem. Similar to our packages.d.o, they have a nice access system,
and even allow us to view the source of their package build scripts
(ebuilds) and packages online. So, I had a look, and here are my
observations.

And note that though the URLs say Gentoo x86, I have confirmed with
Gentoo developers that the sources and patches are _architecture
independent_, and common sources are used for every architecture, and
compiler. Needless to say, it works with gfortran.

A final observation is that Gentoo autotoolizes the build procedure,
so after patching the upstream source, all they do is ./configure;make
etc., and I really find that this is an elegant solution, though this
is a decision for maintainers to make.

blas-reference
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://packages.gentoo.org/package/sci-libs/blas-reference
ebuild: http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/gentoo-x86/sci-libs/blas-reference/blas-reference-20070226.ebuild?view=markup
Version: 20070226

This is built from the lapack-lite-3.1.1 tarball available from
http://www.netlib.org/lapack/

They have it working for the following architectures:
alpha, amd64, hppa, ia64, ppc, ppc64, sparc, x86

Patches:
One patch which autotoolizes the build procedure.
http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/gentoo-x86/sci-libs/blas-reference/files/blas-reference-20070226-autotool.patch?rev=1.2&view=log

cblas-reference
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://packages.gentoo.org/package/sci-libs/cblas-reference
ebuild:
http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/gentoo-x86/sci-libs/cblas-reference/cblas-reference-20030223-r4.ebuild?view=markup
Version: 20030223-r4

This is built from the lapack-lite-3.1.1 tarball available from
http://www.netlib.org/blas/blast-forum/cblas.tgz

They have it working for the following architectures:
alpha, amd64, hppa, ppc, ppc64, sparc, x86
(Note that ia64 is missing)

Patches:
One patch which autotoolizes the build procedure.
http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/gentoo-x86/sci-libs/cblas-reference/files/cblas-reference-20030223-autotool.patch?rev=1.6&view=log

lapack-reference
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://packages.gentoo.org/package/sci-libs/lapack-reference
ebuild: http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/gentoo-x86/sci-libs/lapack-reference/lapack-reference-3.1.1-r1.ebuild?view=markup
Version: 3.1.1-r1

This is built from the lapack tarball available from
http://www.netlib.org/lapack/lapack.tgz

They have it working for the following architectures:
alpha, amd64, hppa, ia64, ppc, ppc64, sparc, x86

Patches:
Two patches. One patch which autotoolizes the build procedure.
http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/gentoo-x86/sci-libs/lapack-reference/files/lapack-reference-3.1.1-autotools.patch?rev=1.2&view=log

And another to disable testing of LS drivers (reason for problem
unknown now):
http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/gentoo-x86/sci-libs/lapack-reference/files/lapack-reference-3.1.1-test-fix.patch?rev=1.1&view=log

blas-atlas and lapack-atlas
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://packages.gentoo.org/package/sci-libs/blas-atlas
http://packages.gentoo.org/package/sci-libs/lapack-atlas
ebuilds: http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/gentoo-x86/sci-libs/blas-atlas/blas-atlas-3.8.0.ebuild?view=markup
http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/gentoo-x86/sci-libs/lapack-atlas/lapack-atlas-3.8.0.ebuild?view=markup
Version: 3.8.0 (but many older versions have been retained for some reason)

Details omitted, as they can be inferred from the ebuilds.

Several patches are available here:
http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/gentoo-x86/sci-libs/blas-atlas/files/
http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/gentoo-x86/sci-libs/lapack-atlas/files/

Focus on new versions?
======================

If you managed to read the dumped data above, I think you can now see
why it is my gut feeling that we should focus on getting the latest
upstream releases of packages into experimental and then start asking
maintainers to push in the leaf packages into experimental. While I am
unaware of all issues which may be involved here, a simple logical
argument in support of focusing on the new version would be that for
the few packages of concern here, we should remember that some
upstream development has been tested on gfortran, and we may be able
to make it easier with those versions. Besides, Gentoo has _hardly_
had to make any patches for any architectures for most packages, and
we have only a few more architectures than Gentoo, to test, right?

Again, I apologize if I've said something which doesn't make too much
sense, but I've just tried to make an argument in favour of focusing
on the new versions, and getting on with the transition.

Thanks!

Kumar (hoping nobody flames him on this! :-)
--
Kumar Appaiah,
458, Jamuna Hostel,