Re: Status of gfortran transition

Greetings, and thanks so much for your helpful reply, consisten labor
for Debian, and thoughtful attention to these matters!

Matthias Klose <doko@cs.tu-berlin.de> writes:

> Changing the soname to a version which might be used by upstream for
> other purposes doesn't make sense. Please read our proposed transition
> plan (that resembles all other transitions which introduce changes not
> caused by the package itself):
>
>  - do NOT change the soname
>  - rename refblas3 to libblas3
>  - libblas3 conflicts/replaces refblas3.
>
> This way you cannot have packages (archive or third party) installed
> together.

OK, there is a problem here.  The existing packages that depend on the
blas interface have the following runtime dependency:

atlas3-base | refblas3 | libblas.so.3

(defined in the shlibs.local) The latter is a virtual package.
lapack3, for example, acquires this dependency via linking in -lblas at
the last step.  So installing libblas3 will replace refblas3, but make
anything linking against it or lapack3 segfault :-(.  If the runtime
is made to conflict/replace, then we need to conflict/replace on
everything linked to it via some equivalent mechanism, I'd think, but
I'm sure I'm missing something here.

This just bit me, as I was building lapack, which requires a blas lib
dev, and it was using an atlas version, which was build against g77.
These are runtime incompatible, and that is what it appears sonames
are for.

I agree it might not be aesthetically pleasing to have an soname
differing from upstream, but I cannot see any other reason not to do
so.  In fact, blas has no version number, so we make up an soname.  It
would be ideal IMHO if the soname could be set to 3gf, but I'm not
getting too hopeful here (please tell me I'm overly pessimistic :-().

Take care,