strange behaviour of unstable built binaries and stable objdump

hi folks,

i am encountering some interesting effects when building packages on my
shiny new amd64 box. i build packages under pbuilder using unstable, and
test them outside (stable) the chroot with lintian and the like. lintian
always complains that my executables are not ELF and that they are
statically linked. they are working elf executables and are in fact
correctly linked. after some investigation, it turns out that objdump
from stable doesn't recognize the file format of these executables.

objdump: sfill: File format not recognized

objdump from unstable (and therefore lintian) works as expected. when i
run "file" on them, it reports:

sfill: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, AMD x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), for
GNU/Linux 2.6.8, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux
2.6.8, stripped

if i build these files in stable, the files can be examined by objdump
from unstable, and "file" reports "2.6.0" instead of "2.6.8".

i don't know if this is a bug, a sign of a bug, intended behaviour or
just irrelevant, but it looked fishy to me. as it looks like a toolchain
problem, i though i'd let you guys know. if there is any information you
need, or any testing to be done, just holler.

cu  robert

--
Robert Lemmen                               http://www.semistable.com