Re: icc C++ problems on Debian 2.4.27-1-686-smp

On Tue, 2004-11-23 at 13:02 +0000, michael wrote:
> Folks - this is essentially a question of how to install Intel compilers
> on a Debian box, something I would think is solved but...

Um, no, I doubt it is solved.  AFAIK, Intel does not
officially support Debian.

> I've tried debian-users for help but to no avail. I believe this list is
> more tuned to people using compilers - if not, can you point me in a
> better direction? And, for the record, I have reported this issue to
> Intel but am awaiting a reply...

See above -- they need to fix their install scripts, and
they haven't been willing to yet.

> I have just installed 'testing' on my dual Xeon. I downloaded a suitable
> SMP kernel from backports. Thus I have:
>
> m@r:~/src/netcdf-3_6_0-beta6/src$ uname -a
> Linux ratty 2.4.27-1-686-smp #1 SMP Fri Sep 3 06:34:36 UTC 2004 i686
> GNU/Linux
>
> I need to use the Intel compilers. (I should add that I've not had any
> of the below problems when I installed the Intel C/C++ and Fortran
> compilers on a RedHat box.) I followed Intel's instructions as per their
> "Platform Notes: Using Intel C++ Compiler on Unsupported Operating
> Systems". (This was essentially using 'alien' to convert rpm->deb, then
> dpkg and then sed INSTALLDIR to the name of the actual install directory
> for all .sh scripts)
>
> Things looked fine. I compiled up 'mpich' and have used.

Personally, I haven't had much luck with the alien conversion
working properly.  I don't think it's so much a problem with
alien as it is with the way the Intel installation scripts work.

I'm doing this from memory, so it may be not quite right, but
I've found the most reliable way of installing the Intel compilers
to be this:

   -- 'apt-get install rpm' and then 'rpm -initdb' so that
      rpm thinks it's behaving properly.

   -- untar the Intel stuff.

   -- fix install.sh.  There's a test in the script (RPM_NOT_FOUND?)
      that relies on 'rpm -qa' working in a way that is, um, highly
      unlikely to work on Debian systems.  If you run ./install.sh
      it'll pop out a message about this being an unsupported install
      that's pretty easy to find in the script.  If you comment out
      the test that causes that message to be displayed (it's in one
      small shell function that I don't recall the name of), the
      install will work just fine.

It seems that whenever I've done the install any other way, I've ended
up with the problems you note -- the compiler not being able to find
header files and such.

Hope this helps...

[much stuff snipped....]

--