Re: release critical gcc bugs

On Mon, 8 Nov 1999, Christian Kurz wrote:

> I never talked about marking every bug against g+= as RCB, but I would
> say that in internal compiler error is an RCB-bug.

I disagree.  In theory, yes, it would be release-critical, but in reality,
it's just not practical.  If such a problem were release-critical, then NO
compiler to date would've made it.  I've run into such problems on every
arch throughout my work with Linux (and UN*X also).  They happen.  No
product is perfect.  There are workarounds, and the Alpha port list is
always happy to offer them when asked.  It's unfortunate that the compiler
is not as mature as it should be, but that's out of our hands overall.
Besides, most of the changes that cause ICE's are usually related to other
archs that end up affecting the Alpha targets.