Re: release critical gcc bugs

On Sun, Nov 07, 1999 at 10:21:05PM +0100, Christian Kurz wrote:

> > > The bug is now about one week old and there seems to be no reaction
> > > from the maintainers. When does this important package gets fixed?
>
> > what do you want more than forwarding the bug and waiting for a fix?
>
> Hm, I saw no sign in the BTS than this has been done.
They may have forwarded it to gcc-bugs and not mentioned it. OTOH,
he seems to think this is the alpha complex bug, which it isn't.

> > why is this package important, it's _optional_?
>
> Because it's the most used g++ compiler.

I think the question was why is an important error that open-amulet
can't be built, because open-amulet is optional.

g++ is, of course, the only g++ compiler :-). But besides the other versions
of g++, the only free C++ compiler (I know of) is Tendra, and that's a little
out-of-date. So getting stuff to work with g++ is rather important. This is
an important bug, in that if it can't be fixed on the g++ side, it will be
an important bug on the open-amulet package (to either build with another
C++ compiler, or not build on Alpha at all.) Still, it should probably
only be a normal bug on g++.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org