Re: release critical gcc bugs

On Sun, 7 Nov 1999, Matthias Klose wrote:

> Christian Kurz writes:
> > > Package: g++ (main)
> > > Maintainer: Debian GCC maintainers <gcc@packages.debian.org>
> > >   48530  g++ [alpha]: internal compiler error building open-amulet
> >
> > The bug is now about one week old and there seems to be no reaction
> > from the maintainers. When does this important package gets fixed?
>
> what do you want more than forwarding the bug and waiting for a fix?
> Another compiler version does not seem to be an alternative.
>
> why is this package important, it's _optional_?

FYI, the only trouble I ran into when building open-amulet on Alpha was an
optimiser bug in g++.  Removing the "-O2" flags for the files affected
seemed to allow it to compile cleanly (and I uploaded the resulting
packages).  IMO, this is a bug that has a workaround and is therefore not
critical.  I have run across many packages in the past (not now) that will
not build at all with gcc.  Those I consider to be critical since there is
no way to compile them at all.  A "forwarded upstream" is definitely the
appropriate status on this (and priority should definitely be normal).