GPC doesn't build on powerpc

There's a bit of a problem with the patch to stor-layout.c:

    64  int set_words_big_endian = BYTES_BIG_ENDIAN;

BYTES_BIG_ENDIAN is not guaranteed to be a constant.  And in fact, on
powerpc, it isn't one.  So this fails with an 'initializer not
constant' error.

Any advice on where to set this properly?  I'd like to get updated gcc
packages ready for powerpc; I'm wading through the list of obsoleted
patches (lots, fortunately).  Aside from things that have been fixed
upstream, this seems to be the only problem.

Dan