Re: Can't build gcc

Dale Scheetz writes:
 > The request that I install dejagnu from project/experimental can not be
 > satisfied, as there is no version of dejagnu in project/experimental (at
 > least not last time I looked). In any case, the test suites that it would
 > be used to execute have been disabled "by hand", so this should not be
 > needed.

The version from experimental has been moved to unstable; thanks for
the hint.

 > The second complaint, that mailx is not installed, and a report can't be
 > mailed, seems to be the reason for generating the "false". How come? If
 > you are going to require an e-mail report whenever gcc gets built, at the
 > very least you are violating the DFSG and this turky should go into
 > non-free. I don't do mail from the box building the packages. It isn't
 > even connected to the net during builds. Is this step really needed?

The rational for sending the mail is to provide gcc-testresults with
the build summaries you find at the mailing list at gcc.gnu.org. It
should be disabled, if with_check isn't set to yes (which is the case
for the gcc package). However I think it's very useful to provide the
upstream maintainers with build reports (at least for the
non-mainstream architectures). Is there a way to send or submit the
build report without violating the DFSG? On the other hand, if I build
gcc, I normally forget to send the report by hand ;-)

 > I am willing to be convinced that it has nothing to do with either of
 > these issues, and is something else entirely, however there isn't a clue
 > to be had in the log of the build. It says that it will build a lot of
 > things, but never does.

I thought an explicit message would be a clue ... (or at least a well
documented debian/rules2 file ;-)

 > Can you tell me what I am missing/doing wrong?

Look at debian/rules2 and set with_mail to no after it's set by the
debian/rules2 file. I'll find a solution for the next upload.