Re: why info-doc non-free

Am 08.01.2018 um 18:27 schrieb kalle:

hello  Hilmar and others,
this is my real e-mail (see above). Writing from the other mail address
was a mistake somehow coming from using the same e-mail-client.

>> maybe it would be good to write a short notice on the package-site(s),
>> why texinfo-doc is considered non-free by debian. As it is a GNU
>> project, I was startled when seeing this.
>>
> Another method would be to do some research by your self:
>
> hille@haka:~$ zless /usr/share/doc/texinfo/changelog.Debian.gz
>
> texinfo (4.8.dfsg.1-1) unstable; urgency=low
>
>    * first version with split out GFDL licensed documentation into
>      texinfo-doc-nonfree (Closes: #356916)
>    * switch to debhelper level 5
>    * add a README.Debian file explaining where the documentation has gone.
>
>   -- Norbert Preining<preining@logic.at>   Wed, 12 Apr 2006 02:33:30 +0200
>
> ...and then go through the README and the closed bug.

> Hilmar

There are two questions behind this:
1. why did *I* not do some research?
2. should everyone do this research?

1.*I* could've been able to look to /usr/share/doc/texinfo by myself.
Though I must say, this is now the first time that I generally speaking
check such sort of Information for any package (usually informing myself
with man, info and on the official project pages). But I wouldn't have
looked into .../changelog.Debian.gz, but into README.Debian, where I
wouldn't have found the right informations. Do you really think it is
appropriate, that people should check the changelogs? I don't want to
know anything on change-history but only about the current state.
Furthermore, not all the changelog is available on my computer, so i
should have downloaded the rest - which is a further complication.
Furthermore I looked for the bug on the project page
(http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/texinfo/), not finding it.
Furthermore, I took quite a lot of time doing this research (ca. 1 1/2h)
not knowing anything more than before.

2. We're talking about the texinfo-nonfree-package, which also has the
document for 'info info', which should really be easily accessibly for
the newbiest newbies. Having already a problem to access the 'info info'
page, the newbie IMO should be easily informed about the context,which,
because being of fundamental nature [software freedom] should be
explained to him/her. Expecting from him/her to do look in the sources
and bug histories, is a lot to much of a burden. The opportunity of
using 'info info' to have an easy entrance into GNU/Linux-world is given
away.

kalle

1