Re: texlive-lang-french and babel (texlive-latex-base) improvement

Patrick GOLDBRONN <patrick.goldbronn@cea.fr> writes:

>> As Frank said, the one is a necessary part of babel, the other is not.
>> So no way for that.
>>
>> Sorry.
>>

> I understand, but it's a bit confusing for newbee.
> Perhaps babel could send an error rather a warning (as other command ask
> for not found file) or do no hyphenation at all rather false one ?

It's not babel that loads the hyphenation patterns. If they are
installed, they are loaded into the LaTeX base format, and are available
with every document (whether it uses them or not).

It also doesn't make sense to give an error. This would prevent people
from installing their own hyphenation patterns instead of the standard
french ones.