Re: removal of texconfig from Debian packages

Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at> writes:

I've looked at this and adapted 55_texconfig_stuff.

> Following is a list of how to achieve the same things as with
> texconfig, but the Debian way:
>
> conf
> 	not needed

but harmless, no need to patch

> dvipdfm paper
> 	use paperconf

No, paperconf cannot do that, the setting is the same for all binaries.
The old libpaper hook would at least respect changed settings for
binaries, the current one doesn't.

So this is an open issue, and I kept the functionality, but added a big
fat warning that it's not persistent upon upgrades.

> dvips add PRINTERNAME
> 	touch /etc/texmf/dvips/config/config.PRINTERNAME

but it's harmless, right?

> dvips del PRINTERNAME
> 	not supported, you should not remove printers that you
> 	haven't created, or that are shipped by Debian

Needs patching

> dvips mode
> 	not supported

needs a patch because of set -, otherwise no problem keeping it

> dvips [-P PRINTER] mode MODE

does the right thing, texconfig-sys says:
texconfig: updated configuration saved as file `/etc/texmf/dvips/config/config.ps'

> dvips [-P PRINTER] offset x-OFFSET,y-OFFSET

does the right thing

> dvips [-P PRINTER] printcmd CMD
> 	make a copy of /usr/share/texlive/texmf/dvips/config/config.PRINTER
> 	in /etc/texmf/dvips/config/ and edit the file
> 	(but that should not be necessary)

does the right thing

> faq
> 	not needed

but harmless

> font vardir DIR, font ro, font rw
> 	please read section 2.5, font caching, in the TeX-on-Debian
> 	documentation in /usr/share/doc/tex-common/.

font vardir does the right thing (after removing an obsolete Debian
patch), namely edit /etc/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf.

I don't see the problem with font ro or font rw.  If the admin, e.g.,
has created all fonts she thinks the site will need, she can use
"texconfig font ro" to prevent others from filling VARTEXFONTS.

I would leave that untouched.

> formats
> hyphen FORMAT
> 	Should not be used on Debian, see TeX-on-Debian, update-fmtutil
> 	for details.

Already patched

> init [format]
> 	Run
> 		fmtutil-sys --all
> 	or
> 		fmtutil-sys --byfmt format

I removed the call to texlinks, otherwise this should be okay.

> mode-list
> 	not supported

works, no need to patch

> mode MODE
> 	edit /etc/texmf/web2c/mktex.cnf

texconfig-sys works fine here

> paper [a4|letter]

That doesn't make sense, disabled in the patch.

> pdftex paper [a4|letter]
> xdvi paper PAPER
> 	use paperconf

See above for dvipdfm, and dvipdfmx is the same: Big fat warning.

> rehash
> 	call mktexlsr

but harmless.