quilt patch difference in texlive-bin and -base

Hi,

I'm sorry that I need to ask this question which may turn out to be
dump,  but I haven't followed neither our packaging nor dpkg source
format stuff closely enough.

Both texlive-bin and texlive-base have

$ cat debian/source/format
3.0 (quilt)

but when I unpack texlive-bin, there's nothing in the .pc directory, and
"quilt applied" says "No patches in series".  In texlive-base, patches
are listed. Both contain patches, but texlive-bin has them in
debian/quilt, whereas texlive-base in debian/patches.

Is this difference on purpose?