Re: removal of texconfig from Debian packages

On Mi, 23 Mai 2012, Julian Gilbey wrote:
> Really?  I certainly did so in the past, when most fonts were
> bitmapped and auto-generated by metafont on the fly.  I used mode to
> ensure that my printer was well-served.

When was that the last time?

> So what is the current recommended practice - to modify
> /etc/texmf/web2c/mktex.cnf by hand?

I myself never touched that file ...

> I'm being stupid here - if texconfig only modifies hand-maintained
> config files such as /etc/texmf/web2c/mktex.cnf and non-standard
> printer configs, what is the problem?

The problem is that *someone* has to go through the current patches
and maybe add some more to make sure that texconfig is not used
to change things that conflict wiht the Debian way. That's all.
Not more and not less.

But since texconfig is deprecated in TeX Live, too, I am not
spending time on this.

TIBSHELF (n.)
Criss-cross wooden construction hung on a wall in a teenage girl's
bedroom which is covered with glass bambies and poodles, matching pigs
and porcelain ponies in various postures.