Re: TeXlive and xdg-utils

Jerome BENOIT <jgmb65@rezozer.net> writes:

> On 06/07/12 09:27, Hilmar Preusse wrote:
>> On 06.07.12 Jerome BENOIT (g6299304p@rezozer.net) wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>>> I have just updated my Wheezy boxes:
>>> I am very surprise to see that texlive-base depends now on xdg-utils.
>>>
>>> Is it a bug ?
>>>
>> texlive-base (2012.20120611-2) unstable; urgency=low
>>
>>    * texdoc: switch from see to xdg-open, change dependency from mime-support
>>      to xdg-utils (Closes: #678747)
>>    * natbib: fix spurious spaces when using \defcitealias (Closes: #628044)
>>
>> Looks rather like intention.
>

> Indeed, but it is getting hard now to install a basic TeX on a
> (free)desktop free computer, hence my email.

This would be a problem, I agree.  However, I don't see how this is the
case:

Package: xdg-utils
Recommends: iceweasel | www-browser, x11-utils, x11-xserver-utils, file, mime-support, shared-mime-info
Suggests: gvfs-bin

Does this force the installation of a desktop environment?  I don't see why.

> Is it possible to use an alternative to xdg-open ?
> Is it possible to put texdoc aside texlive-base ?

It's configurable, but We'd need a Suggests somewhere in the chain of
dependencies.

If texdoc were in a separate package, texlive-base would still need to
Depend on or at least Recommend texdoc, so this is not a solution.