texlive and tlmgr

First: I am not a Debian developer or maintainer. It just happens to be that I am using GNU\Linux for about 11 years (redhat, mandrake, gentoo, ubuntu, Debian for the last 2 years) and an enthusiast user of LaTeX. I have not been following this mailingslist. The last 3-4 years I've been using Texlive installed with the texlive-installer from dvd. The graphical interface ``tlmgr -gui'' to update the packages to the latest versions works like a charm. When I look at the repositories for texlive in Debian wheezy I find a texlive version 2009. I can think of some arguments not to include a tlmgr in debian (packages can't be installed/updated the debian-way, a lot of dependencies with other tex-related packages like writer2latex or annotation-programs would have to be revised), but what are the arguments not to go for it?
I know: I'm just an 'outsider'.
There are hundreds of packages on CTAN.org and maintaining them is a lot of work, not to mention packaging them. So why not working together with CTAN and include there update-tool? There can be some 'magic' in symbolic links to redirect for platform-dependency, it would be interesting to see some debian-scripts for manipulating tlmgr for installing packages which are already available so you could have transitional-packages to migrate 'easily', and why not an online debian maintained repository for CTAN files? Why not a debian version of ``TeX Live Utility'' which is an interface to tlmgr on mac?

I hope i do not offend anyone with this email, I'm just asking some (dumb) questions.

Koen