Re: a problem by jtex

Hi Norbert, only quick answer.

On Mon, 2 Apr 2012 19:00:00 +0900, Norbert Preining wrote:

> How is the relation between jtex-ptex and jtex itself?
> Can all the documents processed also with jtex over ptex?

Only very simple documents can be processed with both
JTeX and pTeX.
The main difference between JTeX and pTeX is their scheme
of fonts.  JTeX's scheme is very similar to that of original
(Knuth's) TeX but pTeX's scheme is far different from original.
(This is a reason why JTeX is useful for tex4ht.)
But pTeX is much useful, for example, vertical writing can be
typesetted well only with pTeX.

> What does multex do more or less than other tex engines nowadays,
> esp ptex/eptex/euptex? Can we just write a script wrapper for
> multex that calls *u*e*p*tex with the right arguments?

No, I don't think we can write such wrapper.
In short, multex is replaced with XeTeX and/or LuaTeX nowadays.
It was useful in the past when unicode was not common, IMHO.

Best regards, 	     	  2012-4-2(Mon)

 Debian Developer - much more I18N of Debian
 Atsuhito Kohda <kohda AT debian.org>
 Department of Math., Univ. of Tokushima