Re: texlive size increase

Hi Julien,

On So, 25 Mär 2012, Julien Cristau wrote:
> I noticed that the upgrade to the new texlive on my laptop wants to
> increase the installed size by 560M (from about 1G for texlive*).  That
> seems like a rather big bump, so I was wondering if this was expected,
> and if anything could be done about it?

Yes it is expected. TL grows every year, and since we skipped some
years now the increases piled up.

> In particular the biggest offenders seem to be:
> texlive-fonts-extra: 200M → 387M
> texlive-latex-extra-doc: 249M → 351M

Yes. man ynew fonts.

> plus 16 new dependencies.

Are coming from the fact that we do not include many of the ttf/otf
fonts that are shipped in TeX Live, but use the ones that are already
packaged in Debian, and only provide links, otherwise TL, esp.
texlive-fonts-extra, would have increased even much more.

I don't see any way or chance to reduce that.

DETCHANT (n.)
(Of the hands or feet.) Prunelike after an overlong bath.