Re: Help with my Squeeze upgrade! (missing fonts)

Ok guys, I think we're getting somewhere!

At least closer to solving the mystery of these missing fonts ...
pretty darn close, I think, but not quite there. I'll try to explain. (I'm also being forced to split this mail into three messages, thanks to the bad filtering at Yahoo. Sorry about this!)

First, just to see if the fonts in the "context" package could be coaxed
into working in X, I tried what Robert suggested:

As root, I added
   <dir>/usr/share/texmf/fonts/truetype/hoekwater/lm</dir>
to /etc/fonts/local.conf, then ran

# fc-cache -fv
# fc-list|fgrep -i mtype
Latin Modern Typewriter,LMTypewriter10 Regular:style=Regular 10,Regular
#

Yay!

Oh, but wait:

$ emacs -fn 'LMTypewriter10'
Font `LMTypewriter10' is not defined

So instead of its former name, you now have to run one of two NEW names, as listed above in the output of fc-list:

$ emacs -fn 'Latin Modern Typewriter'

or

$ emacs -fn 'LMTypewriter10 Regular'

Ok, so it's there, but it's just got a new name. Hmm! Suddenly I wonder if my Lenny system was using LMTypewriter10 from the "lmodern" package, which subsequently renamed it!

So to test this, I bypassed this local.conf 'hack' altogether and tried using the "lmodern" version, as Norbert pointed out:

First, I restored local.conf to its orig, then ran

# fc-cache -fv
# fc-list|fgrep -i mtype
#

Ok, now:

$ emacs -fn 'LMTypewriter10 Regular'
Font `LMTypewriter10 Regular' is not defined
$ emacs -fn 'Latin Modern Tyepwriter'
Font `Latin Modern Tyepwriter' is not defined
$ emacs -fn LMMono10

Hey, there it is again!

Now what does all this mean??

Some questions, and (I think) maybe new bug reports!

As Norbert said, lmodern renamed their fonts. My first thought is:
Danger!!! I don't know if the other fonts in lmodern were renamed too,
but isn't it very dangeous / bad programming to rename fonts like that?
Won't it confuse/break things?

The font we've been talking about is clearly named LMTypewriter10:

http://st.fri.utc.sk/doc/lmodern/lm-info.pdf

Does this seem like a bug report should be filed on lmodern?

Erin