Re: Help with my Squeeze upgrade! (missing fonts)

[Continued from last mail. If this makes it through that makes 2/2!]

And wait, there's more ... the first issue of just USING this font again
is now solved, by either changing all the software that mentions
LMTypewriter10 to instead look at LMMono10 (until someone decides to
rename it again, grumble!), or edit local.conf to include the "context"
font dir and then use 'Latin Modern Typewriter' or 'LMTypewriter10
Regular' as the font name. I can deal with that just to get the font back,
and meanwhile hope the lmodern people bring back LMTypewriter10.

But the second issue is that it's not just LMTypewriter10 that went
missing. All kinds of fonts are simply gone, like OldDreadfulNo7BT and
ZurichExBT. The problem is, I don't know right now exactly wAnd I'm 90% sure that these fonts are from TeX Live. (I have
to figure out a way now to search all these dirs and search Debian
packages to see where these things came from and where they are. But they
DID exist on my Lenny system and are gone now on Squeeze.)

Since Robert's suggestion of adding to /etc/fonts/local.conf worked, I bet
I can add /usr/share/texmf/fonts and /usr/share/texmf-texlive/fonts to
that file, right? Or, maybe just add the Truetype and Opentype fonts:

/usr/share/texmf/fonts/opentype
/usr/share/texmf/fonts/truetype
usr/share/texmf-texlive/fonts/opentype
usr/share/texmf-texlive/fonts/truetype

As it turns out, other people are aware of this issue. This is talked
about as a fontconfig bug here:

http://osdir.com/ml/debian-tex-maint-debian/2009-12/msg00109.html

Similar discussion here:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/TeX_Live

And even more stuff here:
http://us.generation-nt.com/answer/bug-478704-texlive-xetex-478704-fontconfig-instead-help-168920351.html

But this solution feels like a major 'kludge' to me. Isn't it? Because
these are pretty obviously not 'local' fonts at all. The user shouldn't
have to modify local.conf for them. Since they're in /usr/share, and
they're basically major fonts for anyone who has TeX installed,
shouldn't the texlive packages be adding this to fontconfig somehow??

That's major issue / potential bug right there.

Finally, last question, and one I asked on the Debian TeX hacker's list,
but I'd like to get everybody's opinion on this: is Defoma
dead/dying/deprecated/no longer necessary? I still have it installed,
but with all my emphasis on fontconfig now I don't even know why I
need it. Should I nuke it? Is fontconfig all that we need to get our
apps to see fonts?

Thanks so much everybody for all this great help!

Erin