Re: Version check in luazlib very strict

On 20.06.10 Tiago Dionizio (tiago.dionizio@gmail.com) wrote:

Dear Tiago,

> I can release a new version so it doesn't check the minor version. But as a
> workaround it could also be compiled statically.

In the past we did already patch the version check to disable it
completely. I'm pretty sure there were no side effects

> Since lzlib only uses the public api, can you guarantee it is binary
> compatible?

According to http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=581818#15
the change would be harmless. Unfortunately I can't really say
something about this, but feel free to contact Török directly.

> And if you don't mind me asking, since I hardly get any feedback on the
> subject, does luatex use lzlib extensively or is the main purpose to be used
> by luatex users?

The luatex binary does not even start when the versions do not match.
We got a lot of reports as the ordinary format building does not
work.

> If it is luatex that uses the module, I had released an
> experimental version that included support for compressed streams
> (if I can call it that), but I was too unsure about the api that
> was provided, and never had any (real) feedback on it.  Also some
> functions were changed or removed in that release (house cleaning).
>
> Would you mind trying that version and see if it helps, or at least
> luatex doesn't break?

I'm sorry. I myself don't use luatex and we won't upload a rather
experimental version to Debian *now* a rather short time before
freeze.
However feel free to introduce that functionality into a new luatex
version, we could provide it in the experimental tree of Debian.

Regards,
  Hilmar
--
Hear me, my chiefs, I am tired; my heart is sick and sad.  From where the
sun now stands I Will Fight No More Forever.