Re: LaTeX for Korean

Hi Danai,

Quite frnkly, I am overwhelmed.

On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 10:55:36PM +0200, Danai SAE-HAN (韓達耐) wrote:
> Hi Osamu
>
> On 11 April 2010 16:25, Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> wrote:
> > Hi Changwoo Ryu and Texlive-people,
> >
> > Can any one you find someone who knows about making Korean page using
> > Latex tool chain.
> [snip]
>
> I have two possible tool chains that you can use and that I know.
>
> Option 1:
> Attached you will find an example TeX file with accompanying PDF that
> can be found in the latex-cjk-xcjk package.  It makes use of the xCJK
> package, a mix between XeTeX and CJK.

All other language use more traditional LaTeX.  So I am not too keen on
this option.

> Option 2:
> If OTOH you still need to use "latex", then we will need to use the
> TFM fonts from the "ko.tex" packages.  I just noticed that the
> "KS.tex" example (part of latex-cjk-korean) doesn't work out of the
> box anymore, because the old HLaTeX had some font variants that ko.tex
> doesn't anymore.  I will upload a new version of the CJK package
> within a few days to correct this.

This is what should happen ...

> The advantage of using option 2, is that you can still rely on the
> trusty old "latex" binary.  Currently only EUC-KR is supported.  UTF-8
> was and is still on my TODO list, sorry (font-related issues).  If you
> want to go for option 2, then I will spend some of my vacation working
> on this. ;-)

All other languages seems to work for traditional and UTF-8.  Yes, I
know they may have spent some sleepless night :-)
> > This old data was assuming HLaTeX which is outdated.
>
> True, it is now ko.tex, but some of the font variants are not available anymore.

I thought Font can be in any encoding as long as it declares correcly.
program takes care conversion ...

Osamu