Re: About TexLive 2008

On Mo, 13 Apr 2009, Luca Niccoli wrote:
> I don't want to waste your time, so I'll take a look at the
> repository, and see how much my skills fit the task; if I see I could

Of course you can ask here/me at any time. Please take a look at the
	texlive2008
part, there in trunk/ you will find a README with quite some bit of
information. Some might be outdated, but well, the best we have.

> Maybe for some future release it could be possible to have something
> like a "texlive-lite" package, which substitutes texlive-*, and

The texlive package itself is already really light, esp if you do
--without-recommends.

> manages all but the very basic packages in TEXMFLOCAL with tlmgr?
> Would it be too much of a mess?

Hmmm ... the problem is that tlmgr is not ready for that. Well, I could
fix that (I am also the author of tlmgr), but there are many many things
to do.

For those tight on disk space, why not use equivs to create dummy
texlive packages, and then use texlive as distributed from tug? Then one
can install only the absolute minimal?

> it would boil down to split that in two or more parts...

I follow upstream here, so If you want to come up with a better
splitting scheme please contact us at texlive@tug.org with a proposal.
For TL2009 we can incorporate that.

> $ aptitude install `apt-file search $PACKAGE.sty | cut -d : -f 1`
> but less error prone, an maybe with the possibility of browsing packages...
> Just tossing an idea, it's definitely not something urgent...

Hmm, someone has to program that ...

> Grazie per il pensiero, fortunatamente per me vivo lontano, non ci
> sono stati danni qui.

Bene saperlo.

DUDOO (n.)
The most deformed potato in any given collection of potatoes.