Re: About TexLive 2008

2009/4/13 Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at>:
> Ciao Luca,
>
> benvenuto nel Club di TeXies.

Grazie!

> If not, please don't ask, it is too much a work. There is a svn
> repository of our group at svn.debian.org, debian-tex, and you can look
> up documentation, perl scripts there.

I don't want to waste your time, so I'll take a look at the
repository, and see how much my skills fit the task; if I see I could
do something useful, I'll ask you more information.
I'll also try the packages on a virtual machine so to get an idea of
what needs to be done...

> That will not change. You can de-select the -doc packages in tight
> disk-space circumstances, that will save you loads, but other than that
> we will not support single TeX package installations.

Maybe for some future release it could be possible to have something
like a "texlive-lite" package, which substitutes texlive-*, and
manages all but the very basic packages in TEXMFLOCAL with tlmgr?
Would it be too much of a mess?

Otherwise, would it be possible to have more, smaller debian packages?
Actually, the only huge package I noticed is texlive-fonts-extra, so
it would boil down to split that in two or more parts...
ATM if one wants to use cmbright or garamond has to install 100+
megabytes of fonts (docs excluded), and it hurts when you have 4G of
disk space...

> I do not understand what you propose, can you be more specific?

Something like
$ aptitude install `apt-file search $PACKAGE.sty | cut -d : -f 1`
but less error prone, an maybe with the possibility of browsing packages...
Just tossing an idea, it's definitely not something urgent...

> Ciao, e spero che non sia stato colpito dal terremoto, come qualche
> amico mio.

Grazie per il pensiero, fortunatamente per me vivo lontano, non ci
sono stati danni qui.
Spero che stiano tutti bene, per quanto è possibile in una situazione
del genere...

Ciao,

Luca