Re: The horrible infinite-loop detected bug

Hi Norbert,

it looks okay up to this point:

>       *)
>         if [ $disable_from_now = 1 ] ; then
>           echo "# $line" >> $tmpfile
>         else
>           echo "$line" >> $tmpfile
>         fi
>         ;;
>     esac

This looks dangerous to me:  If someone has added local custom formats
(and not followed the advice of doing this in a separate configuration
file), then they'll probably have done this at the very end.

Am I right that in TL 2007 the duplicate lines were no problem?  Then
such systems might well exist.

We could at least stop at blank lines.  Or restrict the code like this:

      etex*|pdfetex*)
        if [ $disable_from_now = 1 ] ; then
          echo "# $line" >> $tmpfile
        else
          echo "$line" >> $tmpfile
        fi
        ;;
      *)
        echo "$line" >> $tmpfile
        ;;

If more bug reports come in, we could simply add the formats to the
list.

  echo "Some formats have been disabled in $oldfile" >&2
  echo "Please review the changes!" >&2

That will surely give you bad comments from debconf advocates - and I
think they at least have the project's majority (or louder voices)
behind them, if not even policy.

Debian Developer (TeXLive)
VCD Aschaffenburg-Miltenberg, ADFC Miltenberg
B90/Grüne KV Miltenberg