Not shipping upstreams language.{dat,def}? (was: texlive 2008/2009, hyphen pattern handling)

> Now, from 2008 on the full information for hyphens are in the tlpdb and
> we generate language.dat AND NEW language.def (the config file loaded by
> etex based formats, i.e., pdftex, luatex, etex, ...).

In addition to the changes proposed by Norbert, I'd like to ask your
opinion on an idea I had: Wouldn't it be better if we did not ship
upstream's language.dat and language.def in
/usr/share/texmf-texlive/...?  While we do, a misconfigured system could
pick it up, if we don't, the error messages will be much clearer.

I think there even was a bug where someone sent logs that showed that
the static language.dat was used (but that wasn't the cause of the
problem, so we didn't investigate).

However, I think we definitely should include it in the source
package. Which brings up the question: Is there already something like
"binary-blacklist"?

Debian Developer (TeXLive)
VCD Aschaffenburg-Miltenberg, ADFC Miltenberg
B90/Grüne KV Miltenberg