Re: dvipdfmx; fontmapsx is missing

Hi Frank,

Frank Küster wrote (2009-04-18 6:14 am):
> > I'm not
> > sure if this is the reason or not, but I noticed dvipdfmx warning that it
> > couldn't find fontmapsx. strace tells me it's looking in sensible places
> > (/etc/texmf/dvipdfm/fontmapsx and /etc/texmf/dvipdfm/config/fontmapsx),
> > but the file really doesn't seem to exist anywhere on my system. 'locate
> > fontmapsx' turns up nothing. 'dpkg -S fontmapsx' can't find any installed
> > package that should own fontmapsx.
> >
> > I'm lost. Where is this file supposed to have come from?
>
> Personally, I have no idea. But there are a couple of google hits, and
> at least two bugs against the dvipdfmx package (with no useful info to
> resolve this for you).

That's pretty much the results I found, too.

> There's one more bug report, #405573, which seems to indicate that the
> file should be generated by the package ptex-jisfonts. Do you use
> far-eastern glyphs (letters)?

No, AFAICT. The figures that are causing me trouble are generated using
PyXPlot, which uses the PyX plotting package for python, which itself uses
Latex, at least for the textual parts (math mode, etc.). I would presume
Latex wouldn't (or, at least, shouldn't) be generating text that Latex (or
its tools) can't process when in an EPS file.

> Does installing the package help you?

I had to uninstall texlive-lang-polish and tetex-extra, since
texlive-lang-polish conflicts with ptex-bin (which ptex-jisfonts depends on).

Installing the package makes the warning go away (the file exists), but the
figure's text in the output is still missing. I guess that wasn't what was
causing my problem.

What's weird is that it's only the axes labels that are missing. The text in
the inset key is fine. FWIW, doing DVI->PS->PDF works properly.

Peace,
Brendon