Re: Transition from dpkg to GNU install-info

On Fr, 13 Mär 2009, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> I guess so. Asking for review/test on -devel is certainly a good idea at
> this point.

I have prepared a document/email. Can one of you take a look at that and
extend/clarify/whatever it?

For testing I always put up the lastest experimental source at the usual
place, is there a way to get dpkg with your patch?

`If there's anything more important than my ego around, I
want it caught and shot now.'
                 --- Zaphod.
Announce and RFC: Replace dpkg install-info with GNU install-info

The dpkg and TeX Team will replace dpkg install-info with GNU install-info.
For that we have prepared a transition plan, testing packages, and now
we would like to ask for review and comments before we upload to unstable.

The general layout is as follows:

- dpkg ships a new /usr/sbin/install-info that will warn the
  user if called with an absolute path, and then as well as in the normal
  case call
  	/usr/bin/install-info
  with the very same arguments.

- The source package texinfo builds a new binary package
	install-info
  that provides /usr/bin/install-info (a script, see below), and
  as before /usr/bin/ginstall-info, the real GNU install-info.

- The script /usr/bin/install-info will check whether it was called from
  a maintainer script (by checking for $DPKG_RUNNING_VERSION) and if it is
  it warns but does not do anything else due to the implementation of
  triggers.

  If it is not called from a maintainer script it gives a warning that this
  is not dpkg install-info any more and calls ginstall-info with the very
  same arguments.

- The install-info package shows interest in the file/dir trigger in
  /usr/share/info/. If any file is dropped there the triggered action
  of the package is called which is calling
  	update-info-dir

- The script /usr/sbin/update-info-dir is new and will regenerate the dir
  file from the set of all installed info documents by calling ginstall-info
  on each of them

This last step currently breaks the inclusion of about 50 info documents from
all about 580 currently in sid. These package will still work but will
not appear in the global dir index (so "info jargon" will work, but it
will not be found in the dir file). We will file bugs against these packages
to fix the texi input file to get a proper info-dir entry.

Time line:
- inform the maintainers of info-browsers about the fact that they
  should now depend on install-info
- upload texinfo with the install-info to sid
- upload a new dpkg with breaks against the various info-browsers
- file bugs against all the info shipping packages with problematic info
  files

Open questions:
- the file trigger should be mentioned in the policy
- review of update-info-dir script

Thanks for any comments or suggestions

Norbert Preining

Links:
- tansition document from an earlier transition plan
  http://wiki.debian.org/Transitions/DpkgToGnuInstallInfo
- svn branch of texinfo package
  svn://svn.debian.org/debian-tex/texinfo/branches/split-ii
- thread on the discussion
  http://lists.debian.org/debian-dpkg/2009/03/msg00019.html