Re: Transition from dpkg to GNU install-info

On Do, 12 Mär 2009, Guillem Jover wrote:
> install-info do nothing if called from inside a maintainer script by
> checking for the DPKG_RUNNING_VERSION environment variable for example
> (this can go once the wraper in install-info disappears).

What about that code in install-info (I am not sure if that is the right
way to check for DPKG_RUNNING_VERSION):

if [ -z "$DPKG_RUNNING_VERSION" ] ; then
  # it seems we are running from outside a maintainer script, so give a
  # warning and call ginstall-info without anything else
  #
  # should we warn at all??? probably not
  echo "This is not dpkg install-info anymore, but GNU install-info" >&2
  echo "See the man page for ginstall-info for command line arguments" >&2
  ginstall-info "$@"
else
  # we are running from a maintainer script, simply ignore the call
  # since we have trigger support and people should rebuild their
  # package with new debhelper which does not add calls to install-info
  echo "ignoring install-info called from maintainer script" >&2
  echo "this package should be rebuild with new debhelper to get trigger support
" >&2
fi

TOOTING BEC (n.)
A car behind which one draws up at the traffic lights and hoots at
when the lights go green before realising that the car is parked and
there is no one inside.