Re: [OT] It is getting real: MS Office <-> TeX

> You might ask if I am getting crazy, but I have to commit, I am
> surprised. On the BachoTeX I saw one guy typing in TeX commands into MS
> Office. No, I am not joking. Office 2007 etc has changed completely the
> math typesetting capabilities of MS. And you know who helped them? It
> was (besides others) DEK! Not surprisingly that many features of TeX are
> to be found there. Italic correction, extendable delimiters, script and
> script-script style, cramped style, ... you name it, it is there!

That's good news for me who has to use MS Word at work. Bad news,
however, is that people told me I don't want Office 2007 if I want to
use Excel seriously, it seems to be tremendously slow...

> Yes, there is a new competitor in town.

What MS Word is still missing is an editor that would be at least
medium-quality. With TeX, you can choose between different dedicated
IDEs with proper editors, or editors which provide an IDE, like
Emacs/AUCTeX, and if you like, you can even use vim-latexsuite...

Frank Küster