Re: About the names and the contents of the texlive-lang packages

A Dijous 10 Gener 2008, Norbert Preining va escriure:
> On Do, 10 Jan 2008, Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda wrote:
> > as the texlive distro uses. So, I have to press to the texlive distro.
> > I'm sorry, but I don't agree with the treatment of the catalan language.
> > To me it doesn't have sense. You are mixing countries and languages
> > arbitrary.
>
> (Putting on upstream head which I am part of, too):
>
> As I wrote, you are invite to work out a better proposal to
> 	tex-live@tug.org
> before that you can check the current state of texlive. The tlpsrc files
> defining the dependencies and inclusions can be found here:
> 	http://www.tug.org/svn/texlive/trunk/Master/tlpkg/tlpsrc/
> for you the
> 	collection-lang*
> are of interest. Please keep in mind that there are many languages and
> many hyphenation patterns hanging around.

Ok, I have seen it in the source of the debian package. As I understand it's
compendium of files that are referring to another files.

> Ah yes. Please hurry, we are hard working on getting TeX Live 2008 out
> in the next months ...

some kind of dead line of it will be we it was ok?

> Another remark: -langspanish is not completely wrong. The majority of
> speakers of Catalan live in Spain. Or do you disagree?

Well, it should be langofspain but as I understood spanish is not a country is
a language.

> And we have
> 	-langindic (no complains till now)
> 	-langarabic (no complains till now)
> 	-langcjk (no complains till now)
> 	-langafrican (no complains till now)

Norbert, I'm trying to make out the political question although I have one,
but I'm trying to be more neutral and discuss it in a rational way. I have
looked it in diagonal search this examples that I think that they are good.
Is you put the name of package langhispanic, for example and you include all
the languages spoken in Hispania (spain + portugal) it would be ok (maybe the
Brazilians complain or the Portuguese). Also, langspain and you include the
basque.

I'm saying it about that use the criteria that you want, but use a criteria
and document it (as Jordà commented). When I user want a package try to find
the package that he/she want with the name. For example, now with the catalan
language we don't have any reference that the hyphen files are included in
the langspanish!!! of for example, if I would like to use the basque language
I will not search in the french package!!!

With the other language, indic, arabic, cjk african ... well. you are using a
generic name. Also, arabic I understand Arab language or derivatives. It's
not close to any country, as I understand, the same to african.

> A personal PS: I have been so often in Catalunia, and many of my friends
> are from Catalunia, and I respect their independence feelings quite a lot.
> But I find it quite unimportant to deal with these things.
> If you find it more important, please do the work.
> None of us (upstream) will do it. Probably because I live in a
> small country borders/names/etc are for me as unimportant as ...
> (indexed word). I am feeling myself closer to people across a so called
> international border then to people living in the far west of my
> country. Still I never minded being called an Austrian (besides the
> times when Haider was in the government). So my understanding for these
> "playing with names" is just a bit of boring for me.

About this, my personal PS point of view is that you have this opinion because
you came from a comunity that has state (country), If not, probably you will
not have this opinion. But I understand you, really. Probably we are more
closer (debian, TeX, mountains, etc...) living in different countries, etc
than I with many people near me.

But I have tried to put the discussion in terms of packaging (in the texlive
of debian) in the way to have clear rules in where to put the files and how,
not in a political terms. For example, if you make packages by letters (all
the languages that begins by a, or b, or c ...) and it's documented, it's ok
for me.

Well, in constructive terms, what's exactly what it's needed?
Maybe the i18n packages in texlive terms should be maintain by local TeX
groups, so working in a collaborative way they should take care better about
the particularities of their language in the package. And about debian
packages, I know a bit about creating debian packages, but I have to addmitt
that I didn't understood how is created the texlive-lang packages.

Regards,

Leo

PS. feel free to resend my comments of texlive to tex-live@tug.org