Re: umlaute not supported any more(?)

Hello Rainer,

Since I don't know the umlaut package I can't answer that question. I assume the umlaut (without trailing "e") package had offered the direct input of the German Umlaute for ISO8859-1 encoding only, so no options were required.

After a quick search in the WWW I found an umlaut.sty, I doubt that this was the original file, but it shows that the above assumption seems to be correct:

http://www.tug.org/svn/texlive/trunk/Master/texmf-dist/tex/latex/umlaute/umlaut.sty?revision=1424&view=markup&pathrev=2151

The umlaute (with trailing "e") package is a different package and was written by me in 1994 and had supported 6 different encodings, so an option was needed to select an encoding, even in version 1.0 of the package. When I wrote that package I wasn't aware of an umlaut package, otherwise I would have named it differently and/or used iso8859-1 as default encoding (without needing an option) to avoid confusion. Well, it's 14 years too late for that ;-)

HTH,
Axel