Re: [dev-context] New Debian packages

Norbert Preining wrote:
Hi Hans!

On Mit, 24 Jan 2007, Hans Hagen wrote:
So I *don't see that this was an *absolute* move.
indeed, as long as one is able to sort out the binaries, context will work ok; at the macro level all versions of pdftex are supported, although ... once pdftex 1.40 is out for some period it makes sense to remove pre 1.40 support

This is good. Of course the compatibility cruft will be removed with TeX
Live 2007 entering Debian, but only then.

good! one additional argument can be that the latest look the greatest

As said, not for etch. We will probably prepare and upload of
experimental, and as soon as etch is released (hahaha, it seems all soo
common to me, TeX Live, Debian, release problems ...) we can move the
new lmodern to unstable (and new testing).

Hans: One question: Do you have an idea why on my PC with texlive2005
Debian packages with lmodern 1.0, no additional stuff installed, but
with the latest context, I can run a document and get the math right,
with the cmr fonts. I thought the lmr MATH fonts are compulsory now?
That was the whole discussion about?

Ie, if the lmr math fonts are not found, does context automatically take
the cmr math fonts?
it depends a bit of how a font is defined, using design sizes or using scaled 10pt; this morning i removed the latest traces of cm fonts in the definitions; the reasons for this are that the lm people want things to be used and tested (a few more chars in math) and so far context always was a decent testbed because users are willing to update (which is why latin modern has been the default font quite soon after it came available); of course the downside is that changes in filenames can be harmful (for some obscure reason halfway between the project tetex wanted another map naming scheme which is inconsistent with other 'modern' polish distributed fonts and it's for that reason that we still ship alternative map files (will be dropped after tex live 2007; maybe we will even drop mapfiles and move to font resources in xml format so that no further conflicts can arise (less files too)) so ... from now on we really need lm math fonts (interestin gis that these fonts have been around for a year and lm people wondered why no reports of usage came in; i only recently found out that they never made it into tetex cq. tex live probably because they were not mentioned in a an update script)
anyhow ... keep in mind that the cmr10 now is rm-lmr10 i.e. rm-* named fonts are the real 7 bit replacements)

Hans

                                         Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE