Re: More fine-grained control in texlive?

Hi, Frank and all,

On Jun 28 2007, Frank Küster wrote:
> Rogério Brito <rbrito@ime.usp.br> wrote:
> > And can we fix some descriptions of packages? I see that some don't
> > have description, were it would be quite useful for the packages to
> > have.
>
> That's easy, just send the packages and the new description.

* I just spotted something that seems strange: the tl-fonts-extra
  mentions groff, with a description suitable for the gnu troff, but the
  files that I saw in the package don't seem to have much to do with the
  actual groff package (which is already packaged BTW).

* Also, the tl-fonts-extra has a mix of highly desirable fonts (like
  fourier, garamond, eulervm) and some esoteric packages like hands,
  elvish (for typesetting Tolkien!), tengwarscript, among others.

  The former fonts I would really "promote" to another package, like
  tl-fonts-recommended.

* I also noticed that many packages has this as their description:
  "Macro package for TeX (the most popular)."
  which I think that could be improved a little.

* in tl-fonts-recommended, we have:
  palatino -- No caption.
  times -- No caption.

  They could both be described as: provides the palatino (times) text
  font for documents (superseeded by mathpazo and mathptmx,
  respectively).

* in tl-latex-extra, we have:
  beton -- Use Concrete fonts.

  The other (latex) packages in this (debian) package don't seem to deal
  directly with fonts and beton seems to be misplaced here. Perhaps it
  should be moved to, say, tl-fonts-recommended (or tl-fonts-extra)?

  I would prefer if it were moved to tl-fonts-recommended, but that's
  just me. :-)

* lt-latex-extra also has "oxford", which should be moved to the
  publishers package (or humanities, according to its description),
  since it is a bibtex style.

  BTW, this also seems suspect:
  pittetd -- Electronic Theses and Dissertations at Pitt. (for Pittsburg)

Hope this helps at least a small amount, Rogério.

Homepage on freshmeat:  http://freshmeat.net/projects/algorithms/