Re: Can/should debconf notes still be used?

On Tue, 29 May 2007, Frank Küster wrote:
> Don Armstrong <don@debian.org> wrote:
> > On Tue, 29 May 2007, Frank Küster wrote:
> >> To me, the solution is to resurrect these conffiles without
> >> prompting, because prompting doesn't make sense if the only working
> >> answer is "yes".
> >
> > Can you test to see if the system is working without the conffiles?
>
> There are about 8 RC bug reports which show quite clearly that it
> doesn't.  There's no sense in testing that in the maintainer script.  If
> a local admin hacked the system so much that it keeps on working without
> them, I frankly don't care - it's no longer a Debian TeX Live system.

My point was that in such a system you'd likely end up breaking it by
reinstalling the conffiles; if such a test is relatively easy, then
it'd be worth it. If not, then a NEWS.Debian entry on how to return to
the previous configuration is probably good enough for such an admin.

Don Armstrong

--
I shall require that [a scientific system's] logical form shall be
such that it can be singled out, by means of emperical tests, in a