Re: installing lines into ttfonts.map?

Ben Pfaff <blp@cs.stanford.edu> wrote:

> One problem I ran into is that it appears necessary to add a line
> to /etc/texmf/map/ttf2pk/ttfonts/ttfonts.map to register a
> TrueType font for use with ttf2pk and at the same time there
> doesn't seem to be a utility or a centralized way to do this.  So
> the way I added these lines in my package is a nasty kluge.  Am I
> missing something?

No, there's currently no infrastructure for this.  We are aware of that
problem, but the solution is not yet clear (and I admit it hasn't been
top priority).  Possible solutions could be a "update-ttfonts" script,
but making updmap do the right thing would be much better (and much
harder).

> Perhaps there is a way that I haven't
> noticed, or there is another way to install a TrueType font that
> doesn't involve editing that file.

Well, you could try to create a Type1 font from it, but that's not a
general solution of course.  pdfTeX can directly read TrueType, so you
don't need to use ttf2pk, but again there's no infrastructure that would
automatically do the necessary configuration.