installing lines into ttfonts.map?

My sister is a linguistics student who needs to be able to embed
small amounts of Khmer script into her LaTeX documents, so I
created a small package that adds support for a number of
Truetype fonts for Khmer to LaTeX:
        http://footstool.stanford.edu/~blp/tex-khmer_1.0_all.deb
        http://footstool.stanford.edu/~blp/tex-khmer_1.0.tar.gz

One problem I ran into is that it appears necessary to add a line
to /etc/texmf/map/ttf2pk/ttfonts/ttfonts.map to register a
TrueType font for use with ttf2pk and at the same time there
doesn't seem to be a utility or a centralized way to do this.  So
the way I added these lines in my package is a nasty kluge.  Am I
missing something?  Perhaps there is a way that I haven't
noticed, or there is another way to install a TrueType font that
doesn't involve editing that file.
--
Ben Pfaff
http://benpfaff.org