Re: Does tetex-extra really depend on all these language packages?

Andreas Tscharner <andy@vis.ethz.ch> wrote:

> Hello tex maintainers,
>
> I'm using Sid at home and I wanted to update, but I hesitate due to
> the many dependencies of the new TeX Live, especially tetex-extra that
> depends on so many language packages.
> My native language is german and maybe I'll write someday something in
> english, but I doubt that I will ever need mongolian for example.
>
> So, does tetex-extra really depend on all these language packages?

tetex-extra is an empty transitional package which does nothing than
depend on stuff.  It pulls in all languages that were also present in
tetex-extra.

If you don't need them, just deselect tetex-extra (and tetex-bin) and
only choose those texlive packages that you think you need (probably
texlive-latex-{base,recommended} and maybe -extra, as well as
tl-fonts-recommended).

I have added a paragraph on that in tetex-*'s NEWS.Debian.