How to add files that upstream does not install? (was: upload plans)

Frank Küster <frank@debian.org> wrote:

> Hi Norbert, hi all,
>
> how should we schedule an upload to unstable?  ASAP?
>
> I see only one thing that should probably be done before we nuke
> tetex-bin by the upload, and that is to build libkpathsea4 and
> libkpathsea-dev.  I hope to find time to work on this today.

Actually, the configure/build part is trivial.  However, the
libkpathsea* files are not installed by TL upstream, so they are not in
any existing tpm.

Which method do you suggest to copy these additional files?  I'm a bit
confused about the current setup.  Currently, the build target of
texlive-bin's debian/rules contains:

	mkdir -p bin/i386-linux
	cp -a build/source/inst/bin/*/* bin/i386-linux/
	cp -a bin.special/* bin/i386-linux/
	for i in build/source/inst/texmf/web2c/*.pool ; do \
		cp $$i texmf/web2c/ ; \
	done
	touch build-stamp

and later tpm2deb-bin.pl fetches them from ./bin/i386-linux and copies
them to debian/wherever.  According to this logic, I would have to copy
the files from build/source/inst/lib to ./lib/ (and the same with
include/) and later copy them to the package dirs.

Why do we need this indirection step?  Wouldn't it be possible to let
tpm2deb-bin.pl get the files directly from build/source/inst (we might
need to pass it dpkg-architecture output, but that's no magic)?

But anyway that doesn't solve the question how to get those libkpathsea
files into the packagedir.  There are at least three options:

- copy the files from build/source/inst to ./lib/ and ./include and
  enhance tpm2deb.cfg and tpm2deb-bin.pl to be able to add arbitrary
  files (or does that already exist?), and pick them up from there[1]

- copy the files to debian/tmp and use dh_install

- move the files "by hand", with manually written lines in debian/rules,
  from build/source/inst to debian/libkpathsea*/

What would you suggest?

Regards, Frank

[1] it seems inconsistent to me that upstream puts executables in
build/source/inst/$arch, but shared objects just into build/source/lib.
I guess that is because that part has never been used in TL?  That's
probably also the reason why there is no bin-kpathsea-lib.tpm or so.