Re: [tex-live] Debian TeX -- new packages

Hi Atsuhito

Atsuhito Kohda wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 02:05:18 +0200, Matej Kosik wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>
> Hi Matej
>
>> Take these document (unpack and make them)
>>
>> http://altair.dcs.elf.stuba.sk/~kosik/tmp/weird.tar.gz
>
> I failed to do make.  Some files are missing? (or needs
> some packages?)

You are right. I have had given incomplete examples. Sorry.

>> However, when you do the same with TeXLive 2007 (that is part of your repository), the PDF files will have changed size. The size of the document will not be 8.26 x 11.69 in (i.e. A4) but 8x50 x 11.00 in (i.e. Letter).
>>
>> Did I (we) do something wrong on our side or the behavior so that `dvipdf' and `ps2pdf' programs produce unexpected results?
>
> It will help much if you can provide a simple short sample
> file, I guess.
>
> Regards,			2007-3-30(Fri)

The problem which first puzzled me (different behavior of TeXLive 2005 and TeXLive 2007) disappeared when I have taken two fresh Debian installations (running inside QEMU) for comparison. They behave exactly the same in this respect (I am sorry for confusion)

However,

If I take a trivial sample "document"

	\documentclass{article}
	\usepackage[a4paper]{geometry}
	\title{Test}
	\begin{document}
	A test.
	\end{document}

If I create a pdf file with

	pdflatex test.tex

I get an A4 document (Acrobat reader says that it is 8.27 x 11.69 inches). It is OK.

However, there were occasions when I could not use `pdflatex' (people provide EPS files that cannot be converted to PDF etc) and I have to compile the document as follows

	latex test.tex
	dvipdf -f test.dvi

the resulting document has different size (Acrobat reader says 8.50 x 11.00 inches. That is unexpected). This difference puzzled me. I was surprised when I found out that the size of the document generated via `dvipdf' was different from the size of the document generated via `dvips' and `pdflatex'.

My personal opinion is that it is irrational, but maybe this behavior is intentional. I cannot tell. Can somebody please drop me an explanation? (if there is any)

Thank's in advance.

PS: Later I have learnt that I can explicitely specify the size of the resulting document generated by `dvipdf' with the `-sPAPERSIZE=a4' parameter. So there is no crisis.

PPS: The other irrationality (inconsistency?) is that `dvips' and `dvipdf' programs behave differently. `dvips' produces the resulting PostScript at the standard output whereas `dvipdf' puts it to a file whose name matches the input file but that has the *.pdf suffix. That is also unexpected, not necessarily a bug.
--
Matej Kosik