Re: Problems found while inspecting 2005->2007 debdiffs

Hi,

Frank Küster <frank@debian.org> wrote:

> - general:
>
>   * I don't completely understand the output of tex-filter-debdiff.py.
>     On the one hand, files like config.xyp are only listed in the
>     "computed by" section.  On the other hand, config.bakoma, which
>     seems to have undergone exactly the same changes as config.xyp, is
>     not filtered, but listed in the top, see
>
>     http://people.debian.org/~frank/texlive-base-bin.fdebdiff2005

Hmmm, right. Subtle little bugger that is fixed in rev 2510. Sorry.

The problem was that I had something like:

  for entry in <some list>:

      <stuff that may remove an entry from <some list>>

and in such a case, contrary to what I expected, the loop is not
executed as many times as there were elements in <some list> before the
loop: whenever elements are removed from <some list> inside the loop, we
miss an iteration[1]. I would have expected that <some list> is
evaluated once and for all at the beginning of the for loop, but things
seem to work differently: the interpreter seems to remember that it is
at index 0, then 1, then 2, etc. of <some list>, which causes entries in
the original list to be skipped when we remove elements from
<some list> whose indices are small enough.

I fixed that by making a safe copy of the needed parts of <some list>
before entering the loop.

> - texlive-base-bin:
>
>   * Lots of config.<printer> files exist in TEXMFDIST and
>     TEXMFSYCONFIG
>
>   * texdoctk.dat is still a symlink in TEXMFDIST, but the file in /etc
>     is in a kpse location, too

I leave that part to Norbert. ;-)

Have a nice week end.

  [1] Not necessarily in general, because it depends on the indices of
      the elements of <some list> that are deleted, but true in the
      particular case at hand.

--
Florent