Re: TeXLive: dpatch vs. quilt

> Hi Frank!
>
> On Mon, 22 Jan 2007, Frank Küster wrote:
>> what are/were you reasons for using dpatch, not quilt?  I think that
>
> The reasons were that we it was not really possible to use all the quilt
> stuff (push pop testing) since we don't have the files online in the
> repository, so changes were always done in the top level.

So this means that you didn't use dpatch-edit-patch and things like
this, but generated the patches by hand?  I mean, for dpatch-edit-patch
you also need a source tree with all the files.

> (Hmm, sounds quite unclear)
>
> Ok I think we can switch to quilt (or better, you will do the switch ;-).
> The working action would be:
> - build source package
> - unpack the source package
> - change into the source package
> - make changes to the quilt patches using quilt
> - copy the changed patches to texlive-new/$Pkg/debian/patches

That's the same thing that I did with dpatch, execpt that "make changes
to the dpatches using dpatch-edit-patch" copies the complete source
tree, and worse it produces patches that won't apply...

> I guess this is the reason why I used dpatch, I could just make a diff,
> and add it straight away to the respective patches directory, adding a
> simple header without any need for creating/unpacking/etc.

That is still possible with quilt.  The main difference is when a patch
needs updating or changing.

> But as I said, I can adapt, I don't have a strong preference for neither
> dpatch nor quilt. The only thing is that I am not sure that it will help
> a lot to work more efficient.

Or you can explain to me why this happens - the newly updated patch
fails to apply:

(552)[09:43:12]frank@riesling:~/src/Packages/texlive-new$ rm -r texlive-bin-2007.dfsg.1/
(553)[09:43:15]frank@riesling:~/src/Packages/texlive-new$ dpkg-source -x trunk/texlive-bin_2007.dfsg.1-1~1.dsc
dpkg-source: extracting texlive-bin in texlive-bin-2007.dfsg.1
(554)[09:43:25]frank@riesling:~/src/Packages/texlive-new$ cd texlive-bin-2007.dfsg.1/
(555)[09:43:31]frank@riesling:~/src/Packages/texlive-new/texlive-bin-2007.dfsg.1$ dpatch-edit-patch 10_mktexlsr_fixes.dpatch
dpatch-edit-patch: * /home/frank/src/Packages/texlive-new/texlive-bin-2007.dfsg.1/debian/patches/10_mktexlsr_fixes.dpatch exists, this patch will be updated.
dpatch-edit-patch: * Cleaning /home/frank/src/Packages/texlive-new/texlive-bin-2007.dfsg.1
dpatch  deapply-all
[...]
10_mktexlsr_fixes not applied to ./ .
dpatch-edit-patch: * Applying patches
dpatch-edit-patch: * Copying /home/frank/src/Packages/texlive-new/texlive-bin-2007.dfsg.1 to work directory.
dpatch-edit-patch: * Applying current 10_mktexlsr_fixes.dpatch for editing.
applying patch 10_mktexlsr_fixes to ./ ... failed.
dpatch-edit-patch: Warning: Could not apply the patch we want to edit -- not aborting, as you may want to work with the .rejs.

dpatch-edit-patch:

Now launching an interactive shell in your work directory. Edit your files.
When you are done, exit the shell. When you exit the shell, your patch will be
automatically updated based on the changes in your work directory.

If you wish to abort the process, exit the shell such that it returns an exit
code of "230". This is typically done by exiting the shell with the command
'exit 230'.
(501)[09:43:38]frank@riesling:/tmp/dpep.fMVm6S/texlive-bin-2007.dfsg.1$ find . -name "*.rej"
./texmf/doc/man/man1/mktexlsr.1.rej
(503)[09:44:50]frank@riesling:/tmp/dpep.fMVm6S/texlive-bin-2007.dfsg.1$ rm texmf/doc/man/man1/mktexlsr.1.rej
(504)[09:44:57]frank@riesling:/tmp/dpep.fMVm6S/texlive-bin-2007.dfsg.1$ exit 0
exit
dpatch-edit-patch: Updating patch /home/frank/src/Packages/texlive-new/texlive-bin-2007.dfsg.1/debian/patches/10_mktexlsr_fixes.dpatch
dpatch-edit-patch: @DPATCH@ tag found, preserving dpatch header.
dpatch-edit-patch: /home/frank/src/Packages/texlive-new/texlive-bin-2007.dfsg.1/debian/patches/10_mktexlsr_fixes.dpatch updated.
(556)[09:45:36]frank@riesling:~/src/Packages/texlive-new/texlive-bin-2007.dfsg.1$ dpatch apply -v 10_mktexlsr_fixes.dpatch
applying patch 10_mktexlsr_fixes to ./ ...
patching file build/TeX/texk/kpathsea/mktexlsr
patching file texmf/doc/man/man1/mktexlsr.1
patching file texmf/doc/man/man1/texhash.1
Hunk #1 FAILED at 44.
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file texmf/doc/man/man1/texhash.1.rej

(557)[09:45:53]frank@riesling:~/src/Packages/texlive-new/texlive-bin-2007.dfsg.1$

The patch was just recreated - how can it fail?