Re: SVN tetex-base commit: r1664 - tetex-base/trunk/debian

Florent Rougon <f.rougon@free.fr> wrote:

> [ Moving this to the right list, M-F-T set ]
>
> Frank Küster <frank@debian.org> wrote:
>
>>> It is my understanding that this renders your commit to the TeX Policy
>>> in revision 1578 somewhat obsolete.
>>
>> Oui, correcte.  If you know a better wording, just edit it.
>
> Well, I was hoping that someone with a better understanding of this
> stuff would do it. :)

It might well be that the problem currently just went away with the
changes to tetex-base.  However, the principle issue still exists, and
if e.g. two texlive packages provide engines and pool files it may
resurface[1].  Therefore I think the rule should still apply, and I just
phrased it more general:

,----
| If an add-on package generates a format upon installation that needs a
| base format (e.g. latex.fmt), it must not load the existing base format
| [10].
|
| [10] The reason is that, in order to avoid other problems,
| update-fmtutil ignores files in /etc/texmf/fmt.d that have a
| corresponding .dpkg-new file, and that it is necessary to recreate all
| formats when pool files or engines are updated. Thus, some Basic TeX
| packages call fmtutil --all in their postinst scripts. When Basic TeX
| packages are upgraded together while a package that loads latex.fmt is
| installed and configured, then one of the Basic TeX packages' postinst
| will call update-fmtutil and fmtutil --all while others are is still
| unconfigured and have .dpkg-new files. Consequently, no format
| information for e.g. LaTeX is available, and the generation of the
| format that wants to load it would fail. However, since all files needed
| to create e.g. latex.fmt are available, the depending format can \input
| latex.ini and create its own format without problems.
`----

Regards, Frank

[1] For example, if experimental ExTeX is in a separate package, but the
user might have configured LaTeX to use it, both the package providing
pdfTeX and the one providing ExTeX need to call fmtutil --all