Re: [NTG-context] new debian context 2006.12.21-0.1

On Fri, 22 Dec 2006, Sanjoy Mahajan wrote:

> Latexstualists may disagree but I think the essence is that Context
> gives more control and makes it easier to create new layouts.

Also the ConTeXt parts are more integrated than the LaTeX packages are
-- think of the discussions/comments about what order LaTeX packages
must be loaded.  For example, the hyperref manual says to load it last
"to give it a fighting chance of not being over-written, since its job
is to redefine many LaTeX commands."

And ConText is also an example of the free-software philosophy of
"release often", sometimes twice a day!

Here is my attempt to integrate everything said here with the UK TeX FAQ entry and the wikipedia entry of ConTeXt, without pointing out all the bad things about LaTeX. Everything said and done, LaTeX is much better than Word Processors ;)

ConTeXt is a document preparation system based on the TeX typesetting system. It was designed with the same general-purpose aims as LaTeX, but being younger reflects much more recent thinking about the structure of the markup, is more modular in its conception, and more monolithic in its building. ConTeXt gives more control to the "end user" and makes it easier to create new layout without learning TeX macro language. ConTeXt is consistent in its design, and does not suffer from the "package clashes" in LaTeX.

ConTeXt also integrates MetaFun which is a superset of MetaPost and a powerful system for vector graphics. Metafun can be used as a stand alone product, but its strength lies in the ability to enhance the document layout with highly accurate graphic elements.

ConTeXt allows the users to use markup in different languages. Markup in English, Dutch, German, French and Italian is supported at present. ConTeXt allows the user to use different engines (pdftex, XeTeX, aleph?, luatex?) without changing the user interface. ConText is developed at a fast pace and is also an example of the free-software philosophy of "release often", sometimes twice a day!

Aditya