Re: Coordinating to let some TeX-related packages in: texlive-bin

> There is something going on which I do not understand: the execuses page
> texlive-bin tells me that it is waiting for libpng, but this one is in
> freeze. And indeed, it has a dependency on libpng12-0 (>= 1.2.15~beta5).
> But this dependency is somehow only theoretically as it was
> autogenerated.

Unfortunately, it's not only theoretical:

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=401465;msg=19

> But since I have to build the binary debs before upload in a sid
> environment, what is the correct procedure now:
> - Rebuild the texlive-bin based binary deps in a sarge environment, and
>   reupload? But this will not work for other archs than the one I
>   upload, as the autobuilders will use sid (I assume).
> - ignore
> - ???

Since texlive isn't the only package affected, the release team will
have to decide whether

a) libpng is let into etch

b) libpng is changed back to not export those symbols and lower its
  shlibs information

c) depending packages need to be updated through etch-proposed-updates
   (not sarge)

IMHO, b would be the smoothest option - however in order to decide
whether it can be done someone who knows about C libraries needs to look
at the code and perhaps at the code of packages that use libpng and have
recently had a new upstream version.